If you read all of our previous articles, you should now have everything you need to create wholesale catalogs for your customers or to attend trade shows. But one marketing item that we didn’t talk about yet can make your life much simpler: the price list template. As we already talked about in our previous articles about wholesale contract templates and wholesale order form templates, your prices may often change which makes it difficult to update your catalog to reflect your more recent prices. In order to solve this issue, some businesses don’t display any prices inside their line sheet and use a price list template that they can easily update and send to their customers regularly. Not only this price list will be useful for wholesale but you can also use the exact same one for retail as well. Today we will teach you how to use a simple price list template that you can reuse for all of your deals. This tutorial will be divided in the 3 different parts:
- What is a price list?
- What are the advantages of using a price list template?
- How do I create a price list template for my business?
As usual you will find at the end of this article, a free price list template in Word Format (DOCX), that you can download, modify and use for your own business. With this free resource, you will be ready to start in no time. Let’s explore the first part of this tutorial.
What is a price list?
A price list is very similar in appearance to a wholesale order form. The price list shows the list of items a business is selling. Usually a price list will be displayed as a tabular format with your company information at the top of the page with the date of the latest price update. Your products table should usually have the following columns:
- Item SKU: The SKU is the unique identifier of each of your item. It’s really important to create a SKU system that is both easy to understand and practical. Please refer to our article about wholesale order form templates to have a better
- Item Name: This is the name of your product. Nothing special there.
- Item Short Description: Since you don’t have a lot of space you should write a short and precise description of your product.
- Retail Price Per Unit: The retail price is simply the price of your item in store.
- Bulk Price Per Unit: This price is similar to the wholesale price of a product. Don’t forget to mention somewhere on the price list what is the minimum quantity your customers need to buy in order to benefit from the bulk price or if it varies depending on each item you may need to add the following column.
- Bulk Quantity: It is the minimum quantity a customer needs to buy for bulk orders.
What are the advantages of using a price list template?
Some industries don’t usually need to use a catalog especially if their prices change every week. Let’s take for example a wholesale business that sells fruits & vegetables to grocery stores. Their customers don’t need to see pictures of their product, which is why a weekly price list is the best format to use for this industry. But most businesses do need to create a catalog or a line sheet with pictures of their products. In this type of situation, not only using a price list will help you save a lot of time but it will also simplify the maintenance of your catalog. Just create your line sheet like you usually do but without mentioning any prices inside it. Then create a separate price list that you will send to your customer with your line sheet. When you need to update your prices, you won’t need to update your line sheet and send new ones to your clients. Just update your price list and send it the updated version to your customers. What is really amazing with this process is that your customers will often receive updates from you, which is a great way to promote your products. As you may have noticed, the price list includes the retail price per unit and the bulk price, which means that you can use this document for both retail and wholesale. No need to have two versions of this document.
How do I create a price list template for my business?
Creating a price list template is pretty easy. You can use Microsoft Word or Excel to create your own template but if you don’t have much time or if you not very comfortable enough with those software, please feel free to download our free price list template available just below.
If you have any questions regarding this article or price list templates in general, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.